Top 3 Homeopathic Remedies For Hangover
When you drink too much one night and then find yourself in a world of hurt the next day. It happens! A hangover may affect your mood, energy, and ability to concentrate. If you're looking for hangover remedies or how to get rid of a wine hangover, there are many options as a homeopathic remedy for hangover that can help you get better faster. In our research, here are top 3 homeopathic remedies for hangover that can get rid of the lingering effects of alcohol.
Homeopathic Remedy For Hangover: Top 3
The main cause of a hangover is the dehydration that happens while the body processes alcohol. Alcohol, also known as ethanol, is metabolized into acetaldehyde—a toxic chemical that causes many of the unpleasant symptoms of a hangover. Other causes of a hangover include inflammation and irritation in the stomach lining and fluctuating blood sugar levels.
When you drink alcohol, your body recognizes it as a toxin and starts breaking it down right away. At first, alcohol is broken down into acetaldehyde then acetate by enzymes in the liver. Acetaldehyde is more toxic than alcohol and can damage cells in the body and increase free radical activity. The body quickly breaks down acetaldehyde into acetate, which doesn’t harm cells and can be used by muscles for energy.
While there's no single hangover cure, with a homeopathic remedy for hangover you can have fun without getting sick and ruining your day. There are three homeopathic remedies that you can use to help ease your hangover symptoms in as little as one day. Each of these remedies has different properties that work together to relieve the symptoms of a hangover naturally and effectively.
Here are the top homeopathic remedies for hangover:
1. Hovenia Dulcis (contains DHM)
The Hovenia Dulcis tree is a species of deciduous tree native to Japan, China, and Korea. Hovenia Dulcis contains a compound called dihydromyricetin (DHM) that is an antioxidant and flavonoid that can help the body fight off hangover symptoms. It has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for 500 years to treat hangovers, liver disease, and alcohol toxicity.¹
- DHM was found to lower inflammatory substances called cytokines, which are hypothesized to be the root cause of hangovers.²
- A medical university out of China discovered that Hovenia Dulcis could increase the ADH (alcohol dehydrogenase) enzyme in the body, which in short is the key component that metabolizes alcohol.¹
- This remedy helps to inhibit the effects of alcohol on GABA in the brain, which helps to reduce the effects of alcohol and possibly limit hangover anxiety.¹
Hovenia Dulcis, as a homeopathic remedy for hangover, could be one of the most significant breakthrough discoveries for protecting your liver and mitigating the negative effects of alcohol. A must-have liver aid
in a hangover supplement.
Glutathione (GSH) is one of the most powerful antioxidants in the human body, and it's made up of 3 amino acids: glutamine, glycine, and cysteine. High doses of alcohol cause our bodies to deplete glutathione, which then causes all sorts of havoc with our brains and livers. When we drink alcohol it damages our cells and creates free radicals which in turn creates oxidative stress on the body. This oxidative stress is what can perpetuate a hangover.
- In 1986, a study by the University of Milan on acetaldehyde found that Glutathione significantly lowered the levels of this substances, which is key indicator of a hangover.³
- Penn State University found Glutathione to play a very important role in the detoxification of alcohol, and found alcohol to deplete Glutathione levels (alcohol glutathione depletion) in the liver causing further impairement.⁴
- Due to Glutathione depletion from alcohol, it was observed that the body waits between 8-24 hours for the liver to produce more to help rid of the toxins from alcohol.⁵
Glutathione is not only a top homeopathic remedy for hangover, it's a critical amino acid that is depleted by alcohol, therefore critical to supplement and restore in your body when drinking.
3. Prickly Pear
Prickly pear cactus hangover remedy
has been used in Mexico for hundreds of years. The extract from the prickly pear cactus, known as Opuntia ficus-indica, has been proven to help treat the symptoms of a hangover in clinical trials. It helps with the symptoms of a hangover by reducing inflammation and restoring hydration. It contains antioxidants that fight free radicals and reduce inflammation that is common during a hangover. The prickly pear extract also contains electrolytes, which help to restore hydration levels in your body after drinking alcohol.
- The Tulane Health Sciences Center found that prickly pear reduces symptoms of hangover such as nausea, dry mouth, loss of appetite and headache.⁶
- Research shows hangover symptoms were reduced by half from Opuntia ficus indica.⁶
- This homeopathic plant is shown to help hangovers by inhibiting the production of inflammation.⁶
Prickly Pear is the last but not least of the homeopathic remedies for hangovers that's science-backed, while also the best known Mexican hangover remedy
that you want to include in your medicine cabinet.
The combination of these three researched homeopathic remedies for hangovers will give your body the best protection to fight off alcohol's effects on the body and the dreaded next day.
Hydration + Liver Aid Chewables
Keep your liver happy and hydrated with Zaca, a natural recovery chewable supplement that supports your liver when drinking so you can feel better faster. Zaca is a great tasting chewable tablet made with a blend of gmo-free herbal extracts including Hovenia Dulcis, Glutathione and Prickly Pear. Simply take 1-2 Zaca packets at bedtime to help rehydrate, replenish and recover. Aid your liver next time you drink, try Zaca's recovery chewables!
1. Natural Products for the Prevention and Treatment of Hangover and Alcohol Use Disorder
2. Hangover drug shows wider benefits
3. Effect of Glutathione on Blood Alcohol and Hangover Symptoms
4. Glutathione Depletion and Recovery After Acute Ethanol Administration in the Aging Mouse
5. The use of N-acetylcysteine in the prevention of hangover: a randomized trial
6. Effect of Opuntia ficus indica on symptoms of the alcohol hangover