How Two Natural Ingredients Can Prevent Altitude Sickness
Altitude sickness can certainly take its toll on people in rapid ascents, such as in our backyard, the Rocky Mountains.
The culprit, lack of oxygen. At 8,000 feet, the atmosphere contains half the oxygen than air at sea level. So whether flying into Colorado at a mile high, skiing a mountain somewhere in the world or even from flying. CNN quotes "Certain people may experience a mild form of altitude sickness when they fly, similar to what mountain climbers get."
Two natural ingredients shown to help prevent altitude sickness is Glutathione and L-Glutamine.
How Glutathione Helps Prevent Altitude Sickness
- Glutathione appears to be quickly depleted at altitude quickly making the body susceptible to the many forms of damage it normally can protect you from.
- Many of the symptoms of altitude sickness appear to be related to free radical activity and a number of studies have used antioxidants to decrease the effects. Glutathione is considered the body's master antioxidant.
- A study monitoring humans on an Everest Expedition found that daily doses of vitamin C, E and Alpha Lipoic Acid reduced the effects of altitude. Glutathione actually has the ability to regenerate other antioxidants, such as vitamins C and E.
How L-Glutamine Helps Prevent Altitude Sickness
- Rats fed doses of Glutamine (human equivalent to 2-3 grams a day) were 4.5 times as resistant to hypoxia than non-treated rats. Also more resistant to cold and were able to gain weight at high altitudes.
- Under certain conditions of physical stress (high altitude) the body isn't able to manufacture this amino acid in adequate amounts to keep up.
- Glutamine helps replenish the glutathione levels, which means these two ingredients work synergistically.
Looking for an easy-to-use altitude supplement? Try our sugar-free Hydration Chewables that contain glutathione and glutamine!