What’s the best hangover prevention formula?
There’s no shortage of hangover cures and prevention techniques floating around the internet.
Everything from some obscure mushroom extracts, bacon infused bloody marys, pedialyte, coconut water, and to even sleeping pills, have been touted as hangover preventers.
The problem is, there are way too many products out there that make far-reaching claims about what they can do for you.
Want to prevent a hangover before it even starts? Here is the ultimate hangover prevention formula -- where we've narrowed down four ingredients that not only are shown to help your hangover, but are proven to do so by science and studies.
There are many tried and true methods of preventing a hangover, but this recipe for a hangover prevention formula contains four all-natural ingredients that are known to help.
I know what you're thinking, but no, a Bloody Marry does not fit into the ultimate hangover prevention formula. I'm sorry to break the news, but your morning (or afternoon) libation has actually been working against you.
On the other hand, there are 4 ingredients that fit perfectly inside the formula. The ultimate hangover prevention formula has been based on lots of research, testing and analysis.
These four hangover prevention formula ingredients include:
1. Japanese Raisin (Hovenia Dulcis that contains DHM)
3. Prickly Pear
We'll review each of these ingredients in the hangover prevention formula, and how they have been shown to prevent hangovers.
Japanese Raisin (Hovenia Dulcis) contains a compound called dihydromyricetin (DHM) that is an antioxidant and flavonoid that can help the body fight off hangovers.²
Research suggests that DHM can help to alleviate the symptoms of hangover, especially the nausea and headaches, by effectively lowering the amount of acetaldehyde in your body.
This is due to DHM’s ability to inhibit the production of acetaldehyde by inhibiting alcohol-induced acetaldehyde accumulation.
Acetaldehyde is a toxic by-product of alcohol that is thought to be responsible for many hangover symptoms.
In addition, this research is back by centuries of Japanese Raisin (DHM) usage in Traditional Chinese Medicine to relieve intoxication from alcohol, help and prevent hangover symptoms, and general liver support and detox benefits.
Japanese raisin is a key ingredient for the hangover prevention formula.
Glutathione (made of 3 amino acids L-cysteine, glycine, and L-glutamate) is a potent antioxidant that helps us rid the body of toxic substances, and it also plays a great role in fighting oxidative stress.
The University of Milan studied the effect of glutathione on blood alcohol, acetaldehyde and hepatic triglyceride levels in 1986. It found glutathione to have found a significant reducing effect on acetaldehyde and the others.³
Acetaldehyde, which is the metabolic product of alcohol, was noted to have possible correlation with hangover symptoms. Therefore with glutathione breaking down acetaldehyde, it can help prevent or ease hangover symptoms.⁸
Another study found that glutathione stores are depleted while consuming alcohol.⁴
To add to the damage, they observed that the body must wait around 8-24 hours for the liver to make more glutathione to rid the toxic acetaldehyde byproducts.⁶
Ultimately, glutathione plays a key role in the detoxification of alcohol (ethanol) -- and if not supplemented, consumption of alcohol will lead to the deplete of glutathione in the liver and other parts of the body.
Lastly, glutathione also helps by recycling other antioxidants and vitamins such as vitamin E and vitamin C.
Want to supplement all 4 of these ingredients? Try our zaca chewables which are formulated with japanese raisin (DHM), glutathione, prickly pear and glutamine!
1. Hangover drug shows wider benefits
2. Natural Products for the Prevention and Treatment of Hangover and Alcohol Use Disorder
3. Effect of Glutathione on Blood Alcohol and Hangover Symptoms
4. Glutathione Depletion and Recovery After Acute Ethanol Administration in the Aging Mouse
5. Glutathione depletion in chronic alcohol abuse makes lungs vulnerable to life-threatening diseases
6. The use of N-acetylcysteine in the prevention of hangover: a randomized trial
7. The Role of Alcohol Metabolism in the Pathology of Alcohol Hangover
8. Effect of Glutathione on Blood Alcohol and Hangover Symptoms
9. Effect of Opuntia ficus indica on symptoms of the alcohol hangover
10. Could This Be The One Hangover Cure To Rule Them All
11. L-Glutamine & Alcohol
12. Biology of a Hangover: Glutamine Rebound
13. Glutamine modifies immune responses of mice infected with porcine circovirus type 2
14. Glutamine: Boost Your Immunity and Athletic Performance