Altitude sickness can be excruciatingly painful, impact your ability to perform at your regular level, and set you back on your climb or trip. In this article, we will look at five of the best altitude sickness prevention natural remedies that can support your body when at high altitudes.
Altitude sickness can affect people who travel to high altitudes. It is caused by a lack of oxygen at these higher elevations, also called hypoxia.
As you climb higher, the air becomes thinner and the air pressure declines, so your body struggles to get enough oxygen from each breath. With the oxidative and physiological stress on the body — and sometimes combined with dehydration — altitude sickness can set in.
The effects of altitude sickness can range from mild to moderate or severe, and they typically appear within 24 hours after you arrive at your destination. The symptoms may include:
Altitude sickness prevention natural remedies can help support the body with some of these issues such as oxidative stress.
While not in our top five list, ginger may play a supportive role on your high altitude trips.
According to the book Herbal Medicine by Ann Bode and Zigang Dong, ginger has been used for thousands of years as a remedy — including colds, nausea, and migraines to name a few.¹ They point out that recent studies show evidence of ginger as a anti-nausea compound.¹
With altitude sickness commonly causing nausea, ginger might be considered an additional altitude sickness prevention natural remedy.
We'll review the top natural ingredients to help altitude sickness below — which includes herbs, amino acids, and leaves.
Out of the five altitude sickness prevention natural remedies, DHM is the one that's considered an herb to help with altitude sickness.
Keep reading to learn about each of these ingredients, including the DHM herb, and how they can help you in high altitudes.
If you're planning a high altitude trip, you probably want to know how to prevent altitude sickness naturally.
Being based in the high altitude state of Colorado, we have years of experience and research on altitude sickness prevention natural remedies, and we'll share with you our top recommended ones.
Our 5 Top Altitude Sickness Prevention Natural Remedies:
This concludes our top researched list of altitude sickness prevention natural remedies — which includes glutathione, ginkgo biloba, glutamine, coca leaves, and DHM.
Used by athletes, climbers, and travelers — Zaca has been sold since 2008 and based in the high altitude state of Colorado. These chewables are made with the highest quality ingredients including a proprietary blend of glutathione, glutamine, and DHM-containing Japanese raisin. This blend boosts your body’s antioxidant defenses and helps you rehydrate, replenish, and recovery. Packaged in on-the-go packets to use anywhere, simply take 2-4 chewables a day or as needed. Try Zaca Chewables today and fuel your body for your mountain trips.
1. Herbal Medicine: The Amazing and Mighty Ginger
2. Peppermint Oil
3. The effects of peppermint on exercise performance
4. Effect of high altitude (7,620 m) exposure on glutathione
5. High Altitude and Free Radicals
6. Ginkgo biloba reduces incidence and severity of acute mountain sickness.
7. Ginkgo biloba decreases acute mountain sickness in people ascending to high altitude at Ollagüe (3696 m) in northern Chile
8. Ginkgo biloba for the prevention of severe acute mountain sickness (AMS) starting one day before rapid ascent
9. Sports in high altitudes? Brazilian researchers suggest supplementing with glutamine, carbohydrates
10. The Possible Importance of Glutamine Supplementation to Mood and Cognition in Hypoxia from High Altitude
11. Continuous and intermittent exposure to the hypoxia of altitude: implications for glutamine metabolism and exercise performance
12. Does Chewing Coca Leaves Influence Physiology at High Altitude?
13. Coca: High Altitude Remedy of the Ancient Incas
14. Dihydromyricetin Improves Physical Performance under Simulated High Altitude